Friday, December 21, 2007

This is Pittsburgh, Not Boston!

On Wednesday night, I got to watch the Celtics lose a very exciting, and very disappointing, game to the Pistons. Last night, I got to watch the Bruins lose a very exciting, and very disappointing, game to the Penguins. Tonight, I get to watch the Celtics face the Bulls. And on Sunday, I get to watch the Bruins at the Penguins on TV, and then the Pats-Fins game is on at four and we actually get it here. If you're counting, that's five Boston sporting events in five days. So strange...but a good strange.

But wait, Matty! How are you getting to watch all these games? Don't you work in a restaurant? Don't you work at night? Don't you have a job? What, are you an unemployed bum now?

Well, actually, yes.

I was "let go" last Monday, for reasons that still aren't very clear to me.

"We prefer the term 'let go.' We think it sounds better."
"Not to the person being let go it doesn't..."

What was that from? It's escaping me at the moment...
(edit: It just came to me as I was rereading this; it's from the Topher Grace/Dennis Quaid movie "In Good Company." Good flick...)

Anyway, I've had a lot of time to follow Boston sports this week. Not by choice, really, but I won't deny it's been kind of fun.

Things that aren't fun: probably canceling my DC trip due to money; not getting Pogues tickets for DC or Baltimore in March due to money; feeling bad putting gas in my car due to money; feeling like a big loser due to no job and money. Etc.

But, I have two interviews this afternoon, so hopefully by 5pm, I won't be such an unemployed loser. We'll see. Loser, perhaps. But a loser with a job...

As for the aforementioned Boston sports teams, I offer the following humble one-line analysis of each team:

Celtics: Get Rajon some help at the point and let House shoot more...
Bruins: 'Punch Crosby in his pimply little face!"
Pats: Blow out the Dolphins so Kim leaves funny comments about really old Dolphins.

As for the rest of the weekend, I think we're taking the kids to see Santa at the mall tomorrow. You know, because it shouldn't be crowded the Saturday before Christmas...somehow we've been remiss in getting this done already, as somebody "didn't realize that taking the kids for pictures with Santa was a tradition." How in the hell did I get married and end up the sentimental one? What were the chances of that happening before it actually happened? A quintajillion-to-one? Anyway, we'll brave the public commerce place tomorrow so that traditions remain just that. Should make for some good people watching at least. Imagine what last-minute, frantic Pittsburghers must look like! Imagine how harried and beaten down the seasonal retail help will look! I'd laugh louder, but hey...at least they have a job.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ernie said...

Sorry to hear about the job. Hope one of these interviews will work out!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Jere said...

Great shot of a Dolphin coach clapping on the sideline, thinking his guy had intercepted the pass, but it actually had gone through his hands and into the receivers' for a TD. Funny stuff, that cheered you up if you saw it.

(my verification starts with "tj yay.")

12:22 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I'm sorry to hear about your very temporary joblessness.....what were they thinking???
I wish you and yours a happy and healthy holiday season, starting right now! Peter

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you've had a great Christmas, Matty!! I've been in the jobless boat myself, so I know the feeling too well. Good luck...

4:56 PM  
Blogger The Omnipotent Q said...

Hope you've had a great Christmas, Matty!! I've been in the jobless boat myself, so I know the feeling too well. Good luck...

4:57 PM  
Anonymous mattystaxtbuddy said...

matty, wishing you and you family happiness in the new year and a job i know will be BETTER than the last, what idiots. can't even talk about the second half of the dolphins game ... good thing we put up the 28 when we did :) and we almost saw a dolphin player CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would have been the new year a little cheerier don't you think??? well i will be at the game saturday night (for FREE) i might add. freezing my ass off but i could see......Won't. Say. It. Best wishes in '08 to all!

1:06 PM  
Blogger MattySox said...

Kim,
Looks like I'll be in Jersey for the weekend; gonna watch the game in the city...

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home