Monday, October 22, 2007

Far Behind

You can take your "Dirty Water." I'll let you have your "Sweet Caroline." I'll even spot you your "Shipping Up To Boston." The official song of the American League pennant winning Red Sox, for me, is "Far Behind" by the almighty, never-been-better, Social Distortion. The song is off of their new greatest hits record, and I've heard it at least once every day going to or from work during the ALCS. When I left work tonight, I was listening to the post-game stuff on 1250am, ESPN radio here in Pittsburgh. Finally, as I got closer to Butler, the signal faded and I switched to 105.9, the X, and sure as shit, that song was just starting. So, before some personal messages to those near and dear to me, I dedicate the following second verse and chorus of "Far Behind" to the Indians, with undying gratitude to the Red Sox for making this my new favorite song....

So I'm pulling up the weeds, I'm taking stock
You talk the talk but can't walk the walk
Your narcissistic ways have got the best of you...
I'm leaving you to sink, in all your glory
For you and me, it's the end of the story
Get out of my way
I've got better things to do

I'm leaving you, far behind
I'm leaving you, far behind
Stop wasting all my time
I'm leaving you far behind!
Yeah!

To Kim, I miss you more at times like this you'll ever know; Thanks for the texts and enjoy the series...

To Micky Finn, I hope I see the Ebbitt sooner than later!

To my wife, I can't promise I won't wake up the kids and huddle them on my lap if victory is imminent...

To Jere, who was there, I am a jealous, happy bastard...

To Joan, if you're still checking in, sometimes the road to victory goes all the way from Hopkinton and Brockton to DC and the Burgh...keep dropping them R's!

To anyone who ever reads this blog, I hope your faith is stronger than mine is sometimes...keep reading and keep believing...

And finally, to the Red Sox...Fuck "Rock-tober"! Let's go Sox-Tober!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

Well said, my good friend. Yeah, Jere was THERE! I hope he stayed for the celebration on the field. Heck, I KNOW he did!
Enjoy the fun to come...we look darn good, as does Colorado. And I always check in here for your new posts. You can't get rid of me THAT easily! Go Sox. Peter

8:26 AM  
Blogger Ernie said...

Far Behind is a great tune. I've had that one on heavy rotation for months now. Never get tired of it.

I think the Sox official song should be 'Don't Stop Believin'. By Journey. Ha ha.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

2 Days Of Celebratory Silence, For The Great Mission Ahead, means no "Mc Assery" during This Period Of Triumph

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home