Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Terry

Just got off the phone with Terry Francona, and here's tonight's starting lineup:

1. Julio Lugo, shortstop
2. Eric Gagne, goalie
3. Coco Crisp, DH
4. Dustin Pedroia, second base
5. David Ortiz, first base
6. Mike Lowell, right field
7. Jacoby Ellsbury, center field
8. Kevin Cash, catcher
9. Brandon Moss, left field

When I asked Tito about some of the more obvious eccentricities of the lineup, this was his explanation:

"Since Gagne, and I just found this out about fifteen minutes ago, is Canadian, I decided maybe he'd be a better goaltender than a pitcher; I think it plays more to his strengths, and I'm just trying to put guys in a position where they have the best chance at success. Ortiz, I'm giving him some time at first, because that makes it look like I'm trying to keep him sharp in the field in case we make it to the Series. Which we won't, but this makes it look like a real possibility to the guys, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell 'em what I really think. Tek needs a day off, and Mikey's been looking real sharp shagging flies in the outfield during BP and he said he's kinda sick of third base. I was gonna give him a day off, but Hinske doesn't feel that his goatee is up for tonight's game, so you know, I'm just trying to put out the best lineup I can. Also, are you sure it's 'Jacoby?' I thought it was 'Jacob.' Huh. What a weird first name."

When I mentioned that no one is penciled in at third, he said, "Well, Julio's got great range at short, and let's face it, you don't need an extra guy over there when balls are flying into the gaps and over the wall all night...I know Buch's goin' tonight, and he's been real solid for us, but we'll just see how it plays out. If need be, maybe we can move Gagne over there. It'll be tough for him to start the 5-4-3 with the blocker pad on his throwing hand, but I think we'll be fine."

As for me, I'm just pissed Lugo is leading off. I thought we were past that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home