Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I've Got Next!

In the last two days, James Brown and Gerald Ford have died. What did they have in common? As my wife reminded me, they were both featured in classic SNL sketches: James Brown's Hot Tub Party and Chevy Chase's bumbling Ford skits. So I ask you now- who's next? What famous, and famously parodied, celebrity goes next? Because as always, people die in threes...

Here's my list, in order of probability to kick it*:

1. John McLaughlin- One of my fave Carvey creations. Fifteen years later, I'm still saying, "Wrong! You had Special K...with ba-na-na..." A great one to laugh at with Chris Leavens and Jeff Compton.




2. Ed McMahon (my wife's first choice)- The first of my Hartman characters I'm predicting will go...even better when he was McMahon on Carsenio...





3. Archbishop Desmond Tutu- this would give Eddie Murphy a two-fer; is it time to weld Doug Flutie's Heisman back together on the big sports talk show in the sky?





4. Mindy Cohn- as famously played by Farley during the America's Most Wanted: Child Stars sketch as a sociopathic glutton. I always thought Farley based his fat-girl Gap character on Mindy as well- "GET OFF MY BACK, I'M STARVING!!!"



5. Phil Donahue- I'm not sure why, he's sort of my wildcard...he hasn't done anything in ages; seems like he'd want to get back in the spotlight...another classic Hartman character, who sort of went hand in hand with Jan Hooks' Sally Jesse Rafael skit...who knows, maybe Phil and Sally will be on a plane together and...


There's lots of other really good guesses out there, I'm sure, but these are definitely my top 5.

*Of course it goes without saying that if any of these people actually die, I am in no way responsible nor is it to be understood that I will write a follow up post in the "I told you so" style, nor is to be imagined that I will revel in some sort of schaedenfraudistic, self-congratulatory, "I'm so clairvoyant" state, although I probably will...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was my understanding...that there would be no death.

I didn't think of the SNL connection between the two, despite that I referenced their SNL skits when each one died.

It's going backwards--Brown in the early 80s, Ford in the 70s...it should be someone they parodied on, like, the earliest episodes. Ray Charles is already dead. Maybe Jamie Foxx will die?

Phil Donahue was doing a great show on MSNBC, but was fired, unfairly, in early '03 for being against the invasion of Iraq. He also recently made an anti-war documentary that hasn't been released yet. So he is doing some stuff.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But anyway...women who name their breasts!!!!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

My ex-girlfriend named her breasts, left to right, before we broke up and they then sagged simultaneously.But before that, they were NAMEWORTHY!!! And death DOES come in threes...Saddam has been the object of SNL humor...there ya go! Your New Year wishes will be here tomorrow.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home