Wednesday, October 25, 2006

This Machine Kills Fascists

So everybody's sick of me talking about the Street Dogs, but their new album came out yesterday, which I got on pre-order, and it's amazing. The songs themselves sound good musically, but more importantly it's a true protest album in the spirit of Woody Guthrie and Billy Bragg (whose "There is Power in a Union" is covered here)- politically and socially incendiary. Great, well-written lyrics really form a unified front across the whole album, finished off with a haunting, very quiet and very punk anti-war song that's as good as I've heard in a great long while. I appreciate the way some people can engender an anti- feeling by painting a picture that makes you hate something as much as the author does, rather than just ramming a message down your throat. I think this song does that. It should be noted here, that Mike McColgan, the lead singer, is an Army vet of the first Gulf War, and an on-leave member of the Boston Fire Department, so he's not just some hippy liberal pissing in the wind off the side of some politically correct bandwagon. Anyway, here's the song, "Final Transmission"...

He had just turned nineteen yesterday
Wanted to be a school teacher someday
Came from a small and modest town
Had never before traveled abroad

He signed on the promise of a college fund
Pop and Mom begged him to stay at home
The last time they saw him was at an airport
He hugged his distraught mother a final time

He went abroad to serve when he was only nineteen
Reality caught up with him, stole a heart full of dreams

He's never gonna get a chance to chase all those hopes
Lost them all amidst this war and smoke
Can you hear the sound of youth negated?
Watch on TV names are taken
Mother, Mother
My final transmission

Paris Island was plain hell on earth
Got gunny yelling at him, "Better prove your worth"
Moved on to Baghdad about six months on
Caught an IED today, now he is gone

He went abroad to serve when he was only nineteen
Reality caught up with him, stole a heart full of dreams

He's never gonna get a chance to chase all those hopes
Lost them all amidst this war and smoke
Can you hear the sound of youth negated?
Watch on TV names are taken
Mother, Mother
My final transmission

Dad and Mom I am your only loving son
Hid a written final transmission under my helmet
Love you both in heart and mind
A better set of parents no boy could ever find

Weep for me and say thy prayers
Remember me through all your years
Only got to serve for six months on and
If you're reading this I have passed and gone

So I harbor a final request
A letter in my memory please send
Off to the President and all his men
Begging him with others to bring the troops back home
He's never gonna get a chance to chase all those hopes
Lost them all amidst the war and smoke
Can you hear the sound of youth negated?
Watch on TV names are taken

He's never gonna get a chance to chase all those hopes
Lost them all amidst the war and smoke
Can you hear the sound of youth negated?
Why are all these young lives taken?
Mother, Mother
My final transmission

1 Comments:

Anonymous Muse said...

Your entry title keeps getting that song stuck in my head...

BTW, I put the SD patch on L's jean jacket for you.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home