Friday, October 06, 2006

I wonder what Vera would think...

True story. You'll just have to believe me.

I left work tonight about 11:15ish to go over to the Old Ebbitt Grill, one of my favorite local watering holes, where I've been enjoying the raw bar and beer for about 7 years now. We were going over for a fund-raiser for my buddy Mike Finnerty's wife, Linda, who suffered a brain aneurism(sp?) about 3 weeks ago. My friend Niki and I walk in and chat with my friend, Eric Marquis, a bartender I've known for years, and he says, "George Wendt from 'Cheers' is down the other end of the bar...weird, he's drinking beer at my bar! Life imitating art, or what?" Turns out George is in town for the Kennedy Center's production of "12 Angry Men," or some such. So we go to the back bar, where the fund-raiser is, hang out for a bit, drop our money in the donation bucket, and George is back there wandering around, looking a little tipsy. He talks to someone, he drops some money in the bucket, and goes back to the front bar. Niki leaves, I finish my beer, then go up front to call my cab to Virginia to go home. My cab calls, says they're outside, and as I'm leaving, I'm leaving right behind old Normie himself. And he tries to steal my cab! Says he's going to the Watergate hotel in DC, but my cab is a Virginia only, and he's on call for me, so he says no...I say, "Hey, George, we'll swing you by the Watergate..." then I ask the cabbie if that's ok. He says sure, and next thing I know, George Wendt is asking me to get in first, as he's not really comfortable sliding across a cab back seat anymore. And no wonder, because he's gotten really big. Like Bob Swerski plus a hundred pounds or so, really fat. So I'm in a cab with fucking Normie from Cheers...

So I call my buddy Chris Leavens in LA, who used to work at a Blockbuster in Studio City, where George used to go, and tell him I'm in a cab with Normie...we get to the Watergate, after talking about his show, my kid, my restaurant, etc and his fare is like $7, and what does he do? He just gets out, says he'll drop by Ceiba sometime, and rolls...didn't even offer his share of the fare! I didn't realize till the cab was like a mile down the road that he didn't pay. The cabbie says, "Was he a friend of yours?" And I said, "Not really..." then informed the driver who that fat guy was, and the cabbie was like, "Man, people in Hollywood are fat...that's how rich people are...I hope if he visits your restaurant, you make him pay full price." And I said, "Fuckin' A...that guy just cost me $7....he's paying the whole nine if he comes into Ceiba..."

So, my cab fare, with tip, was $25 instead of the usual $18. But, I now know that Norm actually was a drunk, he was really fat, and, aside from stiffing me on a cab fare, was really nice. So, I guess I got that going for me. Weird night, man, weird night.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jere said...

Wow, Nammie!

That's awesome. I'd pay more than 7 bucks to have a Wendt sighting, and a full 15 for a Wendt-shared cab.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Nice! Did you have a warped Cheers dream that night...like maybe Normie sitting at the bar in your restaurant....with Carla? A great moment worth the seven bucks, although he might have just paid your tab WITH his....oh well. Tigers win tonight as RJ unable to get out of the third. That's my mind, wandering. To a good place. I like good places.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Christine E. said...

GREAT story Matty! Too funny!

Thanks for sharing....

Go Tigers...

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home