Monday, October 16, 2006

Here's the Round-up, Y'all

So since last Wednesday...

Thursday, Sarah and I went to the Black Cat to see the Street Dogs and Bouncing Souls. The Dogs were great as usual, didn't get any pics this time, but believe me, Mike McColgan is the punkest dude I do declare. Super energy on the floor, great set list opening with the new "Not Without a Purpose," and the set was highlighted by the super-rare (even when he was in the Murphys) "Get Up," always Mike's (and my) favorite Murphys song, a terrific shout-out to SLF. It brought the club to a ridiculous high. I got up to sing with them again on "Strike A Blow," and Mike and Johnny Rioux came over and talked with us for a little bit. They remembered Sarah was pregnant last time she saw them, and said they'd only come to DC when she's pregnant now...I've said it a million times...go check out this band...

Then Bouncing Souls came on, with The Pete's hair looking awfully puffy and McDermott wearing a shirt(!) and they jumped right into "The Gold Song," with a very muddled sound mix and not a lot of energy. Seven songs or so in, a guy ten feet in front of us throws a bottle at the bartender, another guy punches the bottle-thrower, and it's on...these two idiots were rolling right back towards us, so me and a guy behind me jump in to try to break this thing up, as house staff had yet to get there. We get on the two guys, we've got them pinned to the ground, they're still flailing around, and after about two minutes of this, Black Cat staff finally get there. Weak. They get the one guy out alright, but the other guy they've got to sit on for twenty minutes till DC Metro Police get there and haul the guy out. Weak. While all this is going on, the band has left the stage, all the pussies behind me that did nothing to help have backed up and someone stepped on Sarah's leg, and she partially dislocates her knee. By the time I get back to her, she's sitting on a stool with her leg up on another one, and the bartenders are getting ice for her. By now, I'm so pissed off I wanted to kill someone. The Souls came back after about 10 minutes, played another hour, but I didnt' really notice, I was so angry. At the guys for fighting, at the losers behind me for not helping break up the fight, at the Souls for doing "Say Anything" accoustic, at everything. We were all just waiting for it to be over. At least they played "Lamar Vannoy" to close, so that made Sarah a little happy. I got the car, Sarah got herself down the steps with help from our friends Rita, Declan and Noel and, in the words of the Swingin' Utters, "...we got the fuck out of that place..." I said it Thursday and I'll say it now, the wrong band headlined this tour...and if you're the type of person that goes to shows, don't start fights, or be too much of a pussy to break them up...

Saturday, I waited tables for the first time in like a year or something. We were short-staffed. The less said about that the better.

Yesterday, the ole Punky Moms (see link on right) had a little shindig at Queen Anne Farm in Mitchellsville, Maryland which lies somewhere between Bowie, MD and the end of the earth. Typical punkin' patch, hayride, million jars of apple butter for sale kinda autumnal deal. All told there were 7 adults and 5 kids. The kids loved the pumpkins, the chickens, the goats and the dog. The moms loved seeing the other moms. The dads loved finally getting somewhere (Applebees...Applebees!!!) that had a tv and beer. Traffic there and back was atrocious and Redskins game related, I broke a slat on the venetian blinds behind our table at the Applebees (Applebees!!!) and I think being outside with it being cool has sparked colds in Sarah and the wee one. Although the wee one had an absolute blast, so if she could, she'd probably tell you it was worth it. Sarah...mmmnnnyeah, maybe not so much. I don't know. Thanks to Tony P. for being there and giving me someone to talk to, and fuck you to the Pizza Hut on Rt. 50 in Bowie for being jerks.

Pretty standard family stuff really. I've seen next to no baseball, not by plan nor by accident, just by busy-ness. Saw no football yesterday, either. Did catch Magglio's walk-off on tv at the restaurant Saturday night. Walk-offs are sweet. Except for that one a few years ago. Not much planned now, until we go to Cirque de Soleil on the 29th, and you all know how much I can't wait for that...at least the last week has been almost completely McAssery free. So that's nice...

Stay tuned for a major announcement coming in the next couple weeks...

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

Wow, what an ultimate teaser! So you expect me to return every darn day just so I won't miss this so-called announcement? P.S. I return every darn day anyways! But you knew that! Nice to have you back.

10:38 AM  
Blogger FINY said...

you really are a tease.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home