Monday, September 11, 2006

A Memory to Heal

Seventy-two degrees that day
in Arlington, Virginia
when a knocked-on door at ten past nine
ends my peaceful dreams.
"Get down here, right now
look at this...
I just don't believe..."
Confusion reigns on TV screens.

I rub my eyes then
stretch my back
Lighting cigarettes in the sun
on our balcony.
We smoke in silence glancing in
the half-opened sliding door
and strain our ears to hear the sounds
of far-off misery.

Then suddenly a muffled boom
one mile down the road
as we flinch giggling naively
over the din of CNN.
The Camel through, the coffee done
we barefoot back inside
then suddenly we "get" the boom
those men have struck again.

Five hours later eating lunch
still watching the TV
turned up loud enough to mask
the sirens of the Arlington FD.
Five years later eating lunch
still watching the TV
still sitting thinking trying
to understand this pointless tragedy.

It's sixty-seven degrees today
in Alexandria, Virginia
three miles and a lifetime
from where these verses started.
The drum's beat and the ringing bell
are cast into the wind
blowing slowly gently cool
to soothe the broken hearted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter N said...

Wonderful.

5:47 AM  
Blogger The Omnipotent Q said...

Very nice, Matty. Thank you for sharing your beautiful words, and your support for me. It is appreciated by me beyond words.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I love both you guys! I'm on my daily blog rounds. And you are both everyday stops.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Muse said...

nicely written my dear.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home