Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Killing Blow

I said to my friend, Larkin, tonight at work, that this morning was rock bottom for us as Sox fans. He's a Sox fan, he reads my blog, he said, "I know, this is as bad as it gets."

The last score I saw on the TV at work was 4-3 Sox. I watch the end of the Yankees game. I was so upset that with the bases loaded and no one out, two straight pop ups and then the fly to Melky. I am super psyched over the 3-run jack to get to 7-6 (we were so dead tonight, hence the time to watch the game). I was so mad at Thome for grounding out, into a force to Jeter, so he could clench his fist the way he does when he mistakenly thinks he himself caused all that created the win. Sickening.

I just got home a little bit ago. I crack a beer. I had a really bad work night. I thought we won 4-3. I check my email. Michael Leggett left a message that said that even Papelbon was in a funk. I get sick again. I check the score. I am defeated and heartbroken.

I read Jere's blog. (Sorry for the Hemingway-esque sentences.) I've never read Jere sound like that. He's where I'm at Wednesday, last morning. I read his comments. Some ex-Iraqi Marine or something vet says it's not life and death. He's seen that. We're only three out of the lead. My Kid cries in her crib and I go and hold her and she falls asleep on my shoulder and I put her back to bed. Fuck the Red Sox.

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

ugh this is depressing, huh? i did the same thing. i went to bed after the 8th thinking we had finally broken out of our slump. then i woke up and realized we had just dropped the second of three to the worst team in baseball. maybe we got it all out of our system now?
only a few good things: manny extended his hitting streak, beckett had a no-hitter for the first ten batters (hey, there's not much good to say), and loretta wasn't seriously hurt after being clobbered by a pitch tuesday.
-julie

9:03 AM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

The Funk is due to missing V-Tek, assorted bad deals & that Mr Epstein made the error of returning to that salt mine run by Larry Lucchino:

He could've been a consultant to Omar Minaya.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Good things happen when things get THIS bad. It's only a game called baseball. But baseball is a game that usually brings joy and happiness. The joy and happiness will be back. I hope. I wish I could say "I promise." I just did, didn't I?

9:20 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

And it makes me sad to see you this down. Yesterday was a tough day, at work and at play. Today is another day, another page, a page of so many in life. Yeah, I know. Rah Rah Rah...I sound like a cheerleader. But I'm just me, a Sox fan. And a fan of you too.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Schill is playing the Al Leiter Role of '02:

I just puked!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Feel better Michael! Must be that bug that's going around. An unnamed virus. Very catchable.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

& "All's Well That Ends, Wells":

9-2 Win;

NESN should NEVER compare a great play by Mike Lowell, with that "Drama Queen", "Captain Fist Pump" in DFBronx.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home