Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What the World Needs Now is Another Fifth Starter

With my apologies to Cracker, and to RSN on behalf of Tito and Theo for throwing that cracker, Jason Johnson, onto our team and onto the hill. I have no internet for nearly a week (and counting) at home, and we get swept by the Devil Rays. Just caught the highlights on Baseball Tonight, and saw Carl Crawford steal home. Honestly, you're a right-handed pitcher and you can't hold a runner at third base??? No, this isn't going to work. In this pitching-starved state of ball we live in, when a guy is 3-8 and designated for assignment by a team that doesn't exactly have a deep staff to begin with, well, say it, Jere: Eh, no Theo.

And I missed apparently the game of the friggin' tournament between the former Axis allies, Germany and Italy. But, we finally have tv again at home, thanks to the good crooks at Comcast. And the house is basically unpacked, and we'll have phone and internet on the 14th. So, Jere, I sort of feel your pain. In this day and age, NESN is not too much to ask for. And neither is a telephone, if you're willing to wait two weeks. A small trade-off, I suppose, for not having to wait in line for bread and potable water.

Just finishing Tim Pat Coogan's "The IRA" for the second time. I like to read it in public, because you get some funny looks from people. Kind of shows you what a difference the time and place into which you were born makes. A great, necessary read for anyone of Irish heritage or interest, and the ultimate example of a perfect cause derailed by imperfect action.

Since I'm just babbling now, I'll wrap it up. Been trying to keep up w/ everyone else's blogs while on limited computer availability. If you stop by to read this, leave a comment and let me know you're well. It's only been a month, but I kind of miss you guys when you're not there at my fingertips.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Omnipotent Q said...

Funny you mention Tim Pat Coogan's "The IRA." My dad has it and I was thinking of reading it soon. Also being of Irish heritage, I'll have to read it at some point.

11:15 PM  
Blogger The Omnipotent Q said...

Thanks also for checking out my blog, Matty. Doing well here in Brooklyn, but the Sox listlessness is beginning to make me sick...

11:18 PM  
Blogger Jere said...

Cracker! Oh, wait, you said it right away. Come on, make it fun! Okay, will go back and read rest of post now.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Jere said...

Note: The Devil Rays series isn't over yet! Somebody commented on Joy of Sox also acting like it was. You've got a good excuse, I don't know what that person's is. We can still take one from the mighty D-Rays!

9:11 AM  
Blogger MattySox said...

The fact that it's a four game series cheers my heart. Cuz, you know, losing 3 out of 4 to the D-Rays is soooo much better than getting swept...

9:25 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

And winning tonight will make the trip to Chitown so much better. We have faith in Timmy.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home