Thursday, July 13, 2006

Mighty Mighty...Q-Tones!


Referencing one of my all time favorite bands (RIP), and because MQ's photos of the ring inspired me, this post is just a little something to tide me over till I have the energy to really write. If you haven't seen his photos of him and the WS ring, by all means, click here to see as much pure joy on a grown man's face as you'll ever see when he's wearing clothes. So anyway, it got me thinking about my one brief brush with Red Sox glory- the Trophy. Which I got to see and touch at a bar in DC called Stetson's, which unbeknownst to me is owned by someone who knows someone who is related to someone who was owed a favor by someone, you get the idea, who was connected to the Sox. And also, apparently, they show the Sox there alot, too. I've only been a couple of times because knownst to me is the fact that the neighborhood is shady and the beer is generally flat. Blah blah, in November '04, I got a tip from a friend that the Trophy would be there, and it was, and it looked like the above. I hadn't looked at that picture in a long time, but there it is, and you know what? Looking at it helps me (sort of) get over 19 inning losses and Tavarez related calamities, and even the Haley's Comet that is a Loretta 2-run error. So, yeah, Jere, it was an inexcusable loss, and maybe, just for tonight, I'm feeling soft, but look at that picture (and I'm sure you all have something similar, and I'd love to see them) and somehow, you know it will be ok. Sure, I'd love nothing more than to have the same picture as above but with 2006 on the sleeve of my fleece, but really, I won't remember that Tavarez blew a game tonight. But I'll always remember that flat beer, that crowded bar, that hunk of gold metal and that photo. That said, fuck you Julian.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jere said...

When in Cooperstown for the '05 HoF Game, my mom and I got pics of each other in front of the trophy in the Hall. It was a mob scene. IOt was as if the trophy was a naked Daryl Hannah at the Statue of Liberty. My mom somehow opened the camera and exposed that roll, so we never got those pics. However! Outside the actual game, the trophy was being carried out of the little ballpark, and someone yelled for them to hold it above the crowd. So I had my mom take another pic (on a new roll--she had her old-school camera, obviously) of me with the trophy held above a crowd right behind me. Works for me. I also was shooting video of the room with the trophy and mob scene. And of it at the New Haven green. And at the Rolling Rally.

10:18 AM  
Blogger The Omnipotent Q said...

Thanks so much for the link, Matty, and the kind words. I'm glad I inspired you to post your trophy photo. I know it's one of those unforgettable moments of your life (like Jere said as well), and everyone I know that's touched it has their story as well. I will post my trophy pic and the story behind it on my blog soon.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I was at the New Haven rally! Holy crap Jere. And Matty, a great pic. you looked so happy. After the White Sox win, we also win, with our Schill, today, the ides of July.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home