Wednesday, June 07, 2006

New Day Rising

After getting some sleep and thinking about it, I've come to the following conclusion: last night's game sucked. Seeing how that's the only one of the series I can watch in its entirety, it really sucked. God bless the good people at Victory Brewing Co. for making that game a (tasty hop-laden) smidge easier to watch. Time now to think positively and try to salvage a split. If we can leave MFNY still up 1/2 a game I'll be happy.

So I understand there's this bar in NYC called Professor Thom's. And lots of Red Sox fans go there to watch the games. I wish there was a bar like that in DC. There's only really one quasi Sox bar that I know of and that's The Flying Scotsman, which kind of sucks. Bad location, lousy room set up, etc. None of the really good pubs here even have Extra Innings or anything; well Mackey's does, or at least they used to, but ever since Game 7 '03 that's been sort of off limits to me. Don't think they want to see me walking through those doors anytime soon. Buncha jerks...I guess i'll just have to open the pub I've been talking about forever, Bitter Matty's. One of these days, it's gonna happen.

And we signed our lease for the new apartment. Part of me can't believe we're moving out of the city to Alexandria, and part of me can't wait (as the construction project across the street slowly drives me insane). It'll be great for The Kid- parks close by, a pool, more kids to play with. And it'll be great for us, too- we definitely need more space that what we have now. But I'm gonna miss being able to walk everywhere. There's something to be said for having everything you love to do practically at your doorstep. There's also something to be said for having over 1,000 sq feet, 2 br, 2ba, a balcony, a fireplace and underground, assigned parking for not much more than we pay now for our little tenement. I don't know why, but I still don't feel like a grown up, even though I have to make grown up decisions every day. It's really an amazing thing to step back and watch yourself learn how to be less selfish. Some days you feel like you are giving individually numbered, signed pieces of yourself away; then you seen what you have received in return, and you feel more whole than ever. But enough with that crap...go Schill, Go Sox and go to Hell Jaret Wright.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jere said...

"Preach on, Brother Beavis." --Butt-Head

11:12 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Hey there...A question..why am I be lucky enough to have a link put up here without me knowing about your blog?? I'm Peter, and I bookmarked you so that later, before gametime, I'll be able to come back and read some of your stuff. Boy, our color scheme is EXACTLY the same. Be back. And hopefully (Probably. Definitly) I'll put up a link. Bye.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

And I can never spell THAT word. The "D' word.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Jere said...

http://www.misterdays.com/

That place seems right up your alley. Also, there are other Sox bars in NYC besides Thom's, which is new-ish.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I read quickly, and there's one thing I'd like to say. No matter how many hits you get, you will not give this up. A little each day, you know our club, you can write....voila! OK? And I will add you as a link. All you has to do was ask. WIN TONIGHT.

11:21 AM  
Blogger MattySox said...

Man I could tell you about Mister Days...The Wife used to work at the old one in DC; the one in VA is a total white ball cap frat boy meat market. Man, oh Man, Jere, you'd hate that place...

And Peter, just trying to link up to things I enjoy reading.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Jere said...

Oh, my mistake. It said Red Sox and Rock n roll and DC and bar and I thought I'd picked a winner.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Jere said...

I like how you put Pennywise on your music list. They always got so made fun of, passed off as pop-punk or whatever, but they made some really cool songs. I never really followed them after Unknown Road, but that was some good proverbial shit. I saw them, interestingly, on Lansdowne St. back in like 94, while visiting my friends who went to BC, and they let everybody come on stage for the last few songs.

Although Pat's experience at a Pennywise show was different, as someone got stabbed.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

You're all set..amnd Wells done? Step over to my place. Take care. Schill rules tonight, in the maybe rain. In the city.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Pennywise was the clown in Stephen King's IT. A horrible man-eating clown. Up from the gutter, literally.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Jere said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's where they got the name for the band.

Excellent work by Jack Tripper in that flick, heh.

1:07 PM  
Blogger MattySox said...

Pennywise still rocks- they've released the same album like 9 times with different titles...when you buy a PW record, you know what you're getting. Everybody needs one reassuring band like that, that will never change, that will never sound different, that will never disappoint live. PW is that band for me.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Muse said...

yeah, I'm having issues about moving out of the city too. Yeah, there things close to the new place - close as in less than 10 minute drive, but nothing in walking distance. And what am I going to do when I don't feel like cooking ,and she wants to see daddy? Can't walk to see you any more. No more dinners with A either. *sigh* but once #2 comes, I suppose I won't have the time any way... Gotta keep thinking about th ebigger space and not playing the damnable parking game any more.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home